Now that you have made the decision to build with Jandson Homes, taking the next step is quite simple.
Your Sales Consultant will assist you in organising the payment of a commencement fee. To help you select the materials and colours for your new home, they will also provide you with a personalised colour pack. At Jandson, we firmly believe that strong communication with a prompt response system is the key to a positive home building experience. As such, soon after paying your commencement fee you will receive a letter from our Head Office introducing your own point of contact for any queries that you may have throughout the process.
Milestone 1 – PLAN PREPARATION
The pre-construction process then commences with the ordering of the following documentation:
- Contour Survey of your site to individual Council requirements
- Bore Hole Test (to determine the type of slab that will be required)
- Current 149 Certificate (this is a full zoning certificate issued by Council)
- Demolition quote (if applicable)
On receipt of these details we prepare a full set of working plans in readiness for your approval. We also order additional information that is required as part of the council application.
- Nathers and Basix Certificates (energy and water ratings)
- Landscaping plans
- Hydraulic Engineering Details (drainage of stormwater)
- Bushfire reports
- Acoustic reports
** Please note that not all of these reports will be required for every Council.
During this period, we will contact you regularly to obtain any information or detail that we may require to assist in moving your development through each phase as quickly as possible. Additionally, we are always available to answer any queries that you may have.
Milestone 2 – COUNCIL APPROVAL – Development Application
We’ve briefly outlined the Development Application process below. Please note, however, that both the process and approval timeframes differ slightly from Council to Council.
- Application lodged with Council
- Council Officers check that all documentation is correct
- Neighbour notification period begins (this is when Council send a copy of the site and elevation plans to your immediate adjoining neighbours). Your neighbours are advised of the proposed development and informed that they should contact council within 14 days with any queries or objections.
- The application is then allocated to a Council Inspector. Once the notification period ends the assessment process begins. This process often includes a copy of the documentation being distributed to several different departments within Council, i.e. Engineering, Landscaping, Parks etc. and their comments being requested.
- Council will liaise with Jandson, if they require further detail or clarification.
- Once all comments have been received from neighbours, internal departments etc, the Inspector will assess the application in relation to the Development Control Plan and any feedback or concerns that may have been raised.
- Approval is released.
While the application is being processed in Council, we will order the following detail from our Consultants:
- Engineering details
- Sewer Pegout (if required)
- Waterboard approval
While Council is processing the application, it is important that you are finalising the following details so that we can move quickly into the contract and construction stage when we receive formal approval from Council.
- Colour Selection appointment completed/finalised and signed off
- All variations generated from the Colour Selection are signed off and returned to Head Office.
- If utilising a Lender to fund the project, obtain loan approval and confirm Lender requirements to finalise the loan. (Please send a copy of this approval to Jandson’s Head Office)
- Start investigating rental properties (if required).
Milestone 3 – CONSTRUCTION CERTIFICATE APPROVAL AND ISSUE OF CONTRACT DOCUMENTS
Jandson will then organise the following detail so we can move your file into the Construction Department and get ready to start building.
- Apply for the Construction Certificate.
- Prepare and Issue Contract documents to you for sign off and return.
- Order Home Owner’s Warranty Insurance.
- Organise an Estimating file and begin the ordering process for your new home’s materials.
- Provide you with any documentation your Lender requires.
Milestone 4 – CONSTRUCTION PROCESS
- Once we receive the Construction Certificate, we will complete and countersign your contracts. We will return a copy to you for your files and Lender’s requirements.
- Your Customer Relations Co-ordinator will contact you to introduce themselves. They will also confirm your preferred method of contact. (i.e. email or phone).
- Final Construction Plans are forwarded to you for checking and sign off.
- Orders are issued to our Suppliers for all materials
- Pegout Survey is ordered from our Surveyors.
SITE WORKS COMMENCE
- Pegout Survey completed
- Temporary Fencing installed
- Sedimentation control installed
- Excavation done
- Piers are poured
(After the Engineer and Certifier have inspected them, the pier holes are filled with concrete to protect against overnight deterioration (wherever possible) and to enable the curing process to begin).
Slab formwork and drainage
Formwork reinforcement and drainage is now set up in readiness for pouring of the slab. Again the Engineer inspects this preparatory work before the slab can be poured.
Pouring the Slab
Slab poured and left to cure (harden) for 5 days.
Progress payment 1 is submitted for payment.
Frames and Windows installed
- Frames and windows arrive on site. On sites with restricted access, the frame may be delivered in stages.
- Frames and Trusses are erected. In some cases the roof may be left for erection until the brickwork is completed.
Progress payment 2 is submitted for payment.
Bricks and Tiles laid
Bricks arrive on site and are laid. In some cases brickwork may be completed in stages, allowing for scaffold and other necessary works to be completed.
Fascia and Guttering Installed
Fascia and guttering installed and roof tiles put in place – this may also happen in stages to work with scaffolding.
Progress payment 3 is submitted for payment.
- Bricks are cleaned, electrical cabling and plumbing pipework installed.
- Air conditioning ducting and electrical cabling also installed (if included in contract)
- Downpipes are fitted and waterproofing is applied to the bathrooms and laundry.
- Your frame is inspected by the Principal Certifier
Insulation and Linings
- Insulation is installed and plasterboard fitted.
- The plasterboard is sanded and cornices installed.
Lock up, Joinery and Staircase
- Your home is normally locked up at this point and internal doors and timber work fitted.
- The staircase (if relevant) is also fitted.
Kitchens, vanities and bath
- Kitchens, vanities and baths are installed in preparation for tiling.
- Stone-type benchtops to be fitted to the cupboards (if applicable) will require a further 10 days for manufacturing following on-site measurement of the cupboards.
Progress payment 4 is submitted for payment.
Tiling, painting and other trade finish offs
- Tiling is completed to the bathrooms, balconies and/or verandahs where applicable.
- Painting is completed.
- Plumbing, electrical and carpentry finishes off.
Final Progress payment request is sent in preparation for Settlement
Finish off and Final Inspection
- Shower Screens and mirrors installed
- Final paint and touch-up completed
- House is cleaned
- Carpet and or/vinyl is laid (if applicable)
- Fencing and Landscaping completed (if applicable)
- Kitchen appliances and hot water system are not installed until the day of settlement.
- Practical Completion Notice issued
- Final Inspection is conducted by Principal Certifier
- Final Inspection with you and your Supervisor
- Settlement date arranged
- Hand over completed and settlement occurs
Milestone 5 – PREPARING FOR THE HANDOVER OF YOUR NEW HOME
These will include the following items:
- Organising Telephone, Electricity, Gas and Water Accounts in your name.
- Arranging the final Inspection and Valuation by your Lender (if required)
- Advising us of a suitable date to install the kitchen appliances and Hot Water System.